The non Ingress Restaurant Review thread!!

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by *Jani*, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Beckins

No.

Awesome, thanks! :)

2. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

I went to Fairview tonight - and personally I thought it sucked - not even close to the Ribs I had at the "Q". Will not be back to Boneheads.

3. Jess

Yea there are definitely a lot of similarities to The Cellar but at least half the menu is new I'd say. I do think most of the staff are the same though.

I haven't tried Tin Pan Alley but did have Bite Me on the Bedford Hwy a few weeks ago. I had the burger and it was pretty good, nothing crazy though to be honest. Made with good ingredients and certainly better than your standard food truck fare, but still just a burger. The menu was limited but I've since heard it changes daily or weekly, which makes sense.

4. *Jani*

*Jani*
    [OP]
    Blinky

Where: Brewdabakers, Burnside
    When: Labor day, 8pm

After a lonnnnngg weekend and an even longer day of painting, cooking didn't feel like an option. We scraped the paint off our hands (and arms.. and legs.. and ears.. and forehead..:lol:) and went for some casual grub.

We have been there 4-5 times before in the past 10 months and have always had great food and service. Since it was after 8pm when we walked in, we decided to go for the appetizer route (after 8 Sunday-Thursday Apps are half price and beer is $3). The place is never full after the supper hours and gives you a chance to sit, relax, and not worry about hundreds of other conversations buzzing around on all sides of you. Near the bar they have 2 tv's (always on Sports) and on some of the tables they have little tablets attached so you can read the news, play little games, or watch the constant stream of advertisements that flash on the screen.

We ordered some Sleeman's to sip on and some water. The server brought the beer over right away, but forgot my beloved H20 (ah well.. the beer tasted too good to care). We ordered the kettle cheese chips (Reg. 10.99), tower of onion rings (reg 7.99) and tried the voodoo sticks (reg. 9.99).

The kettle cheese chips never disappoint. It's exactly what I wanted.. greasy.. cheesy.. bacony and some peppercorn aoili dipping sauce. The platter is big enough to share for a table if you are using it strictly as an app before your meal. The onion rings were also good, as usual. Beer battered, and nice and crispy (but not overcooked). It was my first time trying the voodoo sticks... The typically stack them into a tee-pee shape, but ours were flat in a bowl. (Ah well. all tastes the same!) They are fried breaded pieces of chicken on skewers in a sweet chili sauce. The flavor was amazing.. and I was about to reach for a second one.. until my eyes watered and it felt like I needed to get a fire extinguisher for my mouth. That said, I can't handle spice. Any normal human could eat them no problem!

Last night the service was good, the food was good, and the price was right. I recommend giving this place a try. (there is also a location in Clayton Park. Never had any issues there either!) The north burger is great (ps.. don't call it the Peter North burger... they may laugh at you :o) and the fish and chips are tasty. Honestly, anything I've had from there I have liked. They even have cooked me a perfect steak on the times that I ordered it (I possibly just jinxed myself...)

8/10

5. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

Brewdabakers - Is one of my favorite spots for Fish and Chips - always good. Burgers are good too. I have had the onion rings as well - they are great but a little pricey I thought.

6. teal

A Candy Cajolers Thrill

Little Europe in the Hydrostone Market.

Overall: Disappointed

Nice atmosphere, intimate with very little seating. The service was excellent, friendly and prompt. The food was disappointing and over priced.

I ordered the prosciutto wrapped scallops ($10) and a san pellegrino ($3.75). The scallops are on the appetizer menu but I felt they would be enough as I had eaten lunch a couple hours before, I was incorrect. The order consisted of five small scallops wrapped in dried out prosciutto topped with a reduction which tasted like watered down red wine vinegar. All except one of the scallops were over cooked, and my stomach has been bothering me since we ate.

My friend ordered a vegetarian wrap ($14, I think) which was suppose to have vegetables and tzatiki but ended up being just vegetables. The server brought over a very small portion of tzatiki when this was pointed out. It also came with one side, and my friend picked fries at the advice of the server. Over all, she said the wrap was ok, the bread was nice and the veggies were fresh, but it would have been improved by the tzatiki.

We both tried the fries that came with the wrap, they were fine but disappointing after being talked up by the server.

7. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Boneheads on Barrington.. had the ribs... they weren't very meaty for my liking :(

8. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

This is what I'm sayin - Go try the "Q". Seriously.

9. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Where is the Q?

10. 17

teenage dirtbag

across from the argyle

11. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'll have to check it out. Don't see me going back to Boneheads.

12. Mitch

My lady and I went to woodys in dartmouth crossing before a movie Sunday, worst BBQ joint period. Completely disappointed.

13. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

I'm pretty sure it was cheaper and it was definitely better - win/win - no complaints about the food and we have gone twice so far.

Here's their web site.

http://www.qmeats.ca/

14. matmaci

from what I hear they don't even smoker there meat on site not to sure if its 100% true or not. There is a lack of solid BBQ in Halifax. I have had some good BBQ at boneheads not amazing but good. Q I have gone twice and had poor BBQ both times the last time half of my sandwich was a giant piece of fat from brisket because they clearly do not know how to cut brisket properly. never tried woodys not on my short list of spots to go either.

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

16. dynadude

17. Stang

Go Buy a Ford

That sucks it was miles better than Boneheads - I'll NEVER go back there again.

18. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

Phil's seafood on Quinpool
    wins best food for The Coast....not entirely sure why. Very very affordable which is refreshing in itself but not anything to write home about in the food department

Paid $10.60 or something in that near figure for a breakfast burrito at the farmers market. 4 bites and it was gone.....but it was probably gluten free so that's a big win haha

19. ingress

_

Tried Effendy on the weekend if you like Mediterranean food it is a winner especially the kebabs which are cooked over coals

20. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

where they at?

21. ingress

_

on Dresden Row, across from where the Park Lane garage empties out

22. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

oh right, i walked by there the other day, was packed.
    Is it pricey?

23. ingress

_

nah I had the most expensive thing which was the mixed Kebab which was 18

wraps ~10
    plates ~14-18
    apps ~4-6

24. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

dee-cent
    will try

25. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Tried out The Stubborn Goat last night - tried to get in a few times before, but always full. We were heading out to see SNS and figured it would be a good night to get in - early supper on a rainy Sunday night. We're out of it and didn't realise the BSB concert was also last night so it was still crowded. We sat at the (upstairs) bar. The place definitely has a lot of character - staff does a great job keeping up with everything. We never really had to wait for anything, had some drinks as soon as we sat down.

I'd read some reviews when they first opened: "Fun spot, food is good, but everything's priced a little bit more than it probably should be." We had 2 appetizers, and then a roasted mushroom pizza. The pizza was great, the appetizers (just hand cut fries and I forget the second thing was called - some kind of bean/cheese dip with taco style nachos) were good.

On the "food/drink" side, the thing that stuck out was actually the "Kitchen Party" Pale Ale from Big Spruce. I actually ordered that for my wife as I wanted a Cereal Killer, but would have switched - great beer. I'm looking forward to heading to Cape Breton soon to pick up some growlers.

26. ingress

_

I like it and didn't find it too pricey love the decor, but I felt the food was a little safe

27. HairyAss

Cheese on Toast

Maybe that's why I'd call it a bit pricey - expected more out of the food for the price. If you're going to call yourself a "gastro"-pub, wow me. Great atmosphere, though!

28. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

would be fun if this thread got revived.

first 2018 entry:
    We had gift certificates from Hamachi. My girlfriends parents gave them to us (or she commandeered because her mom refuses to go out in public). Went to the waterfront location. She suggested Teppanyaki and that we would require reservations. I said nay nay to asian dinner theater, i just want to drown in sashimi. And because this is in the borough or Bishops of landings, we get dolled up and put on our Ted Baker attire that we never wear. After struggling for parking in the landing bishops borough in -14 weather, we shut off the dependable kia rio, and stroll over to the harbourfront viewed resto. cardboard in the windows and a sign that reads; "We are renovating to serve you better" and a song and dance about making the venue better and that it will take 3 months (from a Jan 15th start)
    Not totally discouraged, we call the hydrostone location and ask if they are open to which they confirm and we agree to head North.
    After seated, we ask to confirm with the waitress if they'll accept the gift certificates, as we've heard since their financial hiccup last year, that for a brief time they weren't accepting gift certificates. They say no we aren't accepting them due to the new owners that financially backed their bankruptcy. I should mention that we were excited not to spend money on dinner and for all the raw fish. air let out of the balloon. We then just want food and head to elliott and vine to where we find out their head chef that we adored, has packed his bags and headed to Toronto.
    Anyways, hamachi sucks.

29. 17

teenage dirtbag

totally shocked hamachi still has any locations, let alone multiple ones

30. Duggan

Own of the owners places in Dartmouth was in foreclosure, was trying to get it cheap but to no avail.

31. David Puddy

yeah, that's right

gf is a lawyer and having fun with scary phone calls to them. They're trying to play hardball

32. Miss Shawty

If anyone is looking for a Vegan restaurant, you should go to M&J's Eatery on the Bedford highway. The owners are super nice, and flexible with their menu options. They also have meat as well, if you have vegan friends like Greg and I do, but still would like options to be able to go out for supper.