Surround Sound Home Theatre

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by HairyAss, Jun 13, 2018 at 1:36 AM.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Looking to get set back up with at least 5.1 surround sound in my home theatre. At the moment, things are pretty simple - Almost all video&audio going from my Roku to my TV using the built-in speakers.

I also own a set of 5.1 Boston Acoustic speakers that sound amazing. The receiver I used to use to drive them died a couple of years ago and I also no longer have any speaker wire.

So... do I invest in a new receiver and set up the perfectly good (really, more than good - the sound is awesome) speakers I have now in a wired set-up?

Or, does wireless win? Sonos seems to be the leader here?

2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I want to gear gear my office with surround sound. I haven't checked things out but I want wireless for sure

3. Grifter

Bluh?

I have a rocketfish wireless set up that I think works great. Technically still wires involved as it only really cuts out the long wires running to the rear channels. But I didn't notice any dips in sound quality.

10404044.jpg

4. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

I picked up an Onkyo receiver a few years back, and have had zero issues with it. My model was cheap and reviewed really, really well.

5. Grifter

Bluh?

I have a Polk audio set up for my speakers and Yamaha receiver. This just hooks up from the speaker wire coming out of the receiver and powers itself for the rear speakers themselves. Separate volume control and everything

6. Michael

Hole digger

I have a golden ear passive 3 channel sound bar up front and paradigm adp 290 surrounds and a paradigm dsp 3400 sub. The denon receiver is a x3200. I’m into this set up for a good chunk of change but it sounds amazing for both 5.1 and 2 ch audio. You are in the states I would seriously check out golden ears stuff. It is amazing.

7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I think this is exactly what I need - running wires up front at the TV is fine - I just don't want to run wires to the rear speakers - thanks!

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I already have speakers I'm happy with and they sound amazing - just looking to get everything set back up without running a ton of wires.

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

The reviews on Rocketfish are amazingly horrible. Lots of other options now that I know what to look for, though!

10. Grifter

Bluh?

I got mine a few years ago. Have had zero issues. :lol: shocked at the reviews on the newer stuff!

11. Mitch

Sonos bar and sub is a solid setup.

Scott likes this.
  12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I ordered some amphony wireless transmitter/receivers last night along with some speaker wire for the front and center speakers. A friend recently went full 5.1 Sonos and said I can take his receiver. Sounds like a good Father’s Day gift to myself. $200 and back in business.

Grifter likes this.
  13. maniac

I prefer everything hard wired if possible. Less things to go wrong. Running a denon 5.1 that's pretty good for a budget setup.

14. RoryTate

Buffer the streaming media unto me.

The tv is on our main floor. I ran the rear speakers through the ceiling of the basement and popped them up behind the couch. Works great if your setup allows for it.