A/T Tire Decisions

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Wayne, May 31, 2018.

1. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

About to replace the factory installed BF Goodrich Mud-Terrains on my Jeep...looking at:

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2
    vs
    Wrangler Duratrac

I've owned a set of Duratrac's before and they were great tires but they have weak sidewalls and are pretty noisy. Leaning towards the KO2's this time, anyone have any horror stories with them?

Looking for something that can take mild trails and run well on the highway. Sick of the noise my mud terrains make on pavement...the alpine system with sub-woofer can barely overcome it.

2. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Just went through this decision process in March. Ended up with Duratracs. They're much quieter than I expected, and look great. I've got about 11k on mine and they still look new. I've heard the treadwear is pretty great with them, but time will tell.

My only complaint is that they seem to like to sling pebbles. Not a huge issue, but my cargo trailer does seem to have picked up a few new small dings since I've switched trucks/tires. Not sure how much the change is due to the truck/oem flaps, and how much is tires.

No personal experience with the K02's. My brother in law runs Duratracs on one of his trucks, and K02's on the other, and when I was shopping, his opinion was go with whatever you can get the best price on, and/or what you think looks best.

3. Scott

rawr

ran the older BFG KO's. No issues. People seem to really like the KO2

4. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Duratracs did sling rocks, and were amazing in winter. I had 25k on my last set before I traded it, and they were 1/3rd worn...so they do wear well.

Mistake I made was rotating every 10k instead of 5k...luggy tires get noisy. My buddy has ko2s and they are so quiet, hard to believe you can run them in trails.

5. Scott

rawr

I've found pretty much any AT tire is gonna be a rock slinger.

I stayed away from the Duratracs because of the sidewall. Towing a trailer I didnt want the flex

6. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

They do make the Duratracs in an "E" load rating with beefier sidewalls if that's a concern. I've got the standard "C" rated. Didn't figure I needed the additional tire weight/strength. I have been pulling a loaded 6x12 enclosed trailer for about 4k of the 11k on the truck/tires with no issues. Can't speak to how they'd handle with a large camping trailer though.

7. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

My last set was E class...and to be fair, I never had any sidewall issues. Just seems to be a concern people have. I don't off road heavy, but where I do go to get to my fishing holes usually has lots of branches and sharp rocks.

8. Grifter

Bluh?

BFG KO2 for the win. I have run many Jeep's with regular KO's and loved them. I had a set of KO2s on my Xterra and just put a set on my Titan.

They are great for the weekend warrior. I can go anywhere I want with them, and they are great for the daily commute to work. Mine have lasted me longer than I expected. Never had any sidewall issues. I found as they are running past half tread you start to get a bit of the A/T tire hum, but nothing that ever bothered me or sounded obnoxious.

Wayne likes this.
  9. Scott

rawr

yeah, I've read mixed on the rv forums about them still. Just a bit soft still.

10. Gooch

I run BF KO2 in summer and studded Duratracs in winter.

Love both

Get whatever is cheaper and looks best on your rig.

11. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Pretty much set on K02's...was just curious if there were horror stories or anything really bad I wasn't aware of.

Going to see if they go on sale in the next 2-3 weeks. Crappy Tire has different tires each week on for 25% off.

12. Scott

rawr

have a look at Quattro tires. good prices.

13. MRA

MRA

14. Wayne

Wayne
    [OP]

Yep, visit them a bit lol

Scott likes this.
  15. Scott

rawr

Just put a set of LT Grabber APT on my truck. on Sale for $189/ea.

16. Grifter

Bluh?

I'd do it the other way around if I had to run one in winter, one in summer. Duratracs are a slightly more aggressive tread, therefore slightly better off road. More siping, more room in between the tread patterns to dig. Therefore, better tire for off road which you are likely more to do in the summer.

BFG KO2's put more rubber on the ground, thus they get better traction on the highway, so slightly better winter conditions.

I definitely prefer the KO2's just curious why you'd do it the way you have?

17. Gooch

I like the look of the ko2 better on the tahoe....but i only ever run studded in the winter and the duras i can stud.
    Namean?

18. Grifter

Bluh?

So...studded and mostly esthetic. Get it. :lol:

Yeah brah. I dig. Inaumean

19. Gooch

Yeah of course....what else is there?