2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Reality Check' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Duggan

Concrete sucks, my knees can't handle it.

(yes, go ahead and make bj jokes)

2. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Half marathon coming up in 5 days. I hit my longest run at 20km just over a week ago and it was not great. I'm feeling all kinds of leg pain while running - ordered new sneakers, but I don't think they'll be here in time. I've been tapering off leading into the race, but not holding high expectations on a spectacular run.

In other news, I was officially diagnosed with Pigmentary Glaucoma this morning. Basically, pigment from the back of my iris flakes off and is blocking the ducts that control eye pressure, which can then damage the ocular nerve. Of course, as soon as I left the doctor and got to work, I googled it and found this bit of info: “Studies have found that vigorous exercise such as jogging and basketball can cause more pigment to be released from the iris, which can further block eye drainage.”

So, yay for running.

3. hank

Oh that's not great news. What's the treatment?

4. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It’s a nightly eye drop to start - go back to see if it’s effecrive enough in 3 weeks, and look at other treatments if not, including surgery. It just feels so ironic that the sports I’ve picked in my life in part to stay healthy could be contributing to this. Getting old sucks.

5. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Were there symptoms or found during a regular checkup?

6. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Oh, on the running front - did 10k yesterday and felt really good during and after. It wasn't as fast as I'd been doing earlier in training but it's also taper time, so not too concerned.

7. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It was found during a regular checkup that led to a series of 3 or 4 follow-ups. During your regular checkup, the pressure in your eye should be tested. The normal range is 10-15 (not sure on the unit of measurement). They start to get concerned around 20. Mine were in the 35-40 range. It's the pressure that causes damage to the ocular nerve - the treatments are all around relieving the pressure. Make sure your optometrist is checking for pressure - they probably do and just never mention it to you unless there is something odd about it.

8. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Yeah the machine that puffs into your eyeball. I get every test in the book since I had lasik

9. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Well, 1/2 marathon in the bag. It was tough - went out for a short run the day before and realized my calf was completely fucked. I went anyway to the race out of pure stubbornness. 1st couple kilometers weren’t feeling great but bearable and then it went, “ow”. Slowed, stopped a few times to stretch things out and got through the worst. Felt better for a bit and actually had a pretty decent 7-14km of the run. Then there was an insane hill - short but straight up. Everyone was walking it. Killed the calf and finished the race in pain. 2:02 which is about 10-15 minutes slower than what I wanted and my slowest 1/2 ever but I’ll take it given the circumstances.

Must have looked like I was 80 after the run. Could barely walk - had medical strap an ice bag to my calf. Good times! Compression socks and lots of voltaren after and today!

10. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Even getting to the race was a comedy of errors. 6:30am start so up early. Knew parking would be insane so drive to my office and figured we could either jump on a bus or grab a Lyft. No buses running that early so sent in for a Lyft. After about 5 minutes, get the notification that he’d arrived but there isn’t a car. Look at the map and see he had turned around and was going the other way, deserting us. Looking around, we saw some Lime bikes (bikeshare) so my wife and I jumped on and began pedaling towards the start. It wasn’t hilarious - those bikes are not meant for someone who is 6’2” and not meant to go fast. Made it to the venue and it was chaos. Had to check a bag and couldn’t find where to do that. Finally found it and my wife needed a port-a-potty. In the end, we were supposed to start with corral 3 and started with 4 instead so not too bad.

It was a huge race - did not thin out over the entire 21km. Crazy.

11. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Looking forward, on to the next challenges - let my calf heal and take a week or so off running to let everything heal really. Sign up for another 1/2 marathon for the fall, but in the summer term, really look to ramp up on cycling and pick some longer rides to tackle. With work travel and visiting relatives, it'll be tough, but my love of cycling and warmer early mornings will help. I am also going to hard commit to more core training - signing up for a gym this week.

12. hank

Pretty sure I saw a video of that hill yesterday! Didn't make the connection that you were running it. Good for you for being stubborn and finishing, hope it doesn't ruin your summer with injury

13. hank

Ran the Michelin Tire Trot 5k on Saturday. Came in third with a 19:24 which wasn't far off from my 19:15 PB from the week before and the Tire Trot was a much more challenging course.

HairyAss likes this.
  14. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

You didn't see the hill coming - sharp right turn and all of a sudden it's there with a sign saying, "King of the Hills". They even had timing mats at the bottom and top with an extra prize for fastest runners. Almost everyone was walking, though. I had one runner brush past me about 1/4 of the way up only to pretty much stop in front of me after he realised "running" was only a snail's pace faster than walking.

15. hank

The clip I saw (can't even remember where I saw it now) was just the hill and almost everyone was walking. Brutal

16. 17

teenage dirtbag

Sold it

17. 17

teenage dirtbag

Bought the kayak :o

18. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Signed up for another 1/2 marathon in October. It’s easy to tell I did as now my Achilles is giving me fits. Damnit. Biking doesn’t seem to bother it, though - quick 45k on the trails this morning. Wife and I are going to try out the Keto diet to shed some quick weight. I know that’s not long term but feel like I need to kickstart something.

hank likes this.
  19. hank

I've had great success with Graston Technique treatment from my chiropractor for Achilles issues. In fact I may go in for a quick tune up as I just started a training cycle for an October half as well. Haven't signed up yet but the goal is to do Toronto Waterfront... Coach is pushing me to take 10 minutes off my PB but I'll be happy if I take 5 or 6 off

20. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

hankhank - back at the beginning of July, I won a raffle at work at a fitness/health expo for a chiropractor/sports recovery place. I finally called up to pick that up (roller, lacrosse ball, etc) but part of the prize was taking an hour to use some various techniques to target various muscles/areas of the body. I got some good tips for targeting the areas of the body that always bring me down, including the plantar area and the Achilles. On top of that, I made an appointment to head in on Friday and the Gastron technique is one thing he mentioned.

Haven’t run in almost 2 weeks now - there is almost no pain but definite stiffness when I get up in the morning. I had no plantar pain this morning after rolling with the lacrosse ball last night though!

And, down 6lbs after week one on Keto. I’ll attribute most of that to the whole no beer/no chips thing as I’m not sure I’m in actual Ketosis yet. I always find there is a big drop the first week of any diet. Nice to see, though!

Nick84 and hank like this.
  21. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Oh, still getting out for some good bike rides when I can (the wildfire smoke limits things) - 65km on Sunday morning and discovered a new favorite route. It takes me through a bunch of “Microsoft money” areas that I’d never really seen. Multi-million dollar homes which also translates into really nice roads.

22. clicker666

Older lifter

You could use sticks, but the best judge of ketosis for me was my wife kissing me. She could smell the acetone smell of the ketone processing on my breath. I wasn't a big fan of keto - I lost quite a bit of strength, and only 9 lbs in 2 months. Meh for me. That being said, if strength isn't the name of your game then it may work well for you.

23. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

My wife picked up some strips - I haven't tried them yet. My brother-in-law dropped 20lbs in 2 months. I don't really want to be that aggressive - I want to shed 15lbs overall. I start some extensive travel for work starting around Sept. 11th so that is probably an end date for the diet - I wont all of a sudden be carb loading, but I know the realities of being on the road will dictate some change.

Strength is not the name of my game - I'm pretty certain that some of the injuries I sustain running are from 230lbs hitting the sidewalk on every stride. 15lbs is a start - I'd like to be down around ~200lbs by the end of the year. The diet kickstarted things and will go towards changing some (bad) habits I started once moving to Seattle.

24. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

HairyAssHairyAss may have already covered this but did you try intermittent fasting? It's completely rewired my body... I don't seem to store any fat anymore :o

25. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I was going to look at intermittent fasting after I'm back from my work travel at the end of September. I know from talking with a friend who is a Registered Dietitian that the science behind that is much more reliable than the science on any other weight loss techniques. I am not a huge fan of any "diet" that goes down a rabbit hole of buying stuff and I can't see needing to buy anything just switching the hours around of when I eat.

26. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm a big fan of it. It's completely changed my body.. My mom tells me I'm too thin which if you ask me is better than being too fat :rofl:

27. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It's much more realistic than what I'm doing now - can still go out to dinner and order like I'm used to instead of scouring the menu for something that fits within the parameters of the diet, for example. Realistically, choices on how I'll be dieting are not just my choice but need to be negotiated with my wife. Her sister and husband did keto and had success and there really wasn't much discussion. :lol:

28. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

:lol:

With IF you could eat what you want, but just head out for dinner early so you got a good fasting window

29. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I don't buy the eat what you want, though - I do believe a higher fat / low carb diet is the way to go - combining that with a fasting approach will be my longer-term goal.

30. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Well yeah, eat what you want but in a healthy way. Nothing wrong with going out to dinner once a week and treating yourself with something tasty. You only live once!

31. Scott

rawr

Full keto or not that far?

32. clicker666

Older lifter

The "magic" of IF is that you would have a harder time eating the same amount of calories that you would in a normal day. You have a small carb up (I believe it's around 50 grams) pre-workout, usually something fast acting like a handful of candy. Work out, eat, rinse repeat. For me I'd essentially just skip breakfast since I work out at noon. That's about 1-2 lbs a week, if you can cut a bit more from your other meals that would help as well. Ultimately it's just another way to restrict calories. Same as Atkins/Paleo/PSMF/Keto - by eliminating some group you're reducing intake. The only caveat is that some diets don't support things like working out as much as others, and don't spare muscle as well.

33. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Currently? Full Keto.

34. Scott

rawr

I watched the Magic Pill the other day. Doc on Netflix. Has me thinking about giving Keto a try. The one thing I hate is counting macros.

35. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

So, I’m lazy. I don’t count macros. I shouldn’t have said I’m going full Keto I suppose. I’m not doing it long term so didn’t want to go nuts - my wife has read a lot more than I am and she does most of the cooking. Saying that, my breakfast is usually some eggs, maybe some sausage, mushrooms, spinach, and some other veggie. Lunch is not that much different but in salad form. I’m almost zero carbs. I don’t really see what doing the macros gets me other than verifying that I’m not over some daily carb window when I’m 95% sure I am. The weight is coming off.