2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It's a new year and a good time to set out some goals. What's everyone thinking?

Mine:

1. Lose ~35 lbs. I knew I'd been gaining some weight, partly due to being injured and unable to run lately, but mostly due to a bad diet and too much beer since moving to Seattle. Taking a pro-active stance on that one starting yesterday - re-logged into myfitnesspal, and underway with that and a better fitness regime.

2. Running. I have 2 goals here: a) Run a 1/2 marathon again. I got away from running at any events as we adjusted to life in Seattle. I was running a lot at lunch at work but without specific goals, I find that waxes and wanes over time. Setting a goal race means I'll set a running schedule and stick to it. Looking at the Seattle Rock n' Roll in June. I will add other events that line up with that once I get the training schedule done, like a 10k in March/April. b) Commit to doing the work to avoid further injuries. #1 will help with that - I notice injuries come a lot quicker for running when my weight goes up. I also need to commit to a regimen of core strength training and recovery work (massages, PT, etc).

3. Cycling. I barely put any mileage on my road bike last year. Part of that was me trying to get my son more interested in cycling, so I did more rides with him which tended to be in the 15-20k range as opposed to getting out for some good long rides in the 40, 60, 80+k range. I'm going to figure that out, even if it means getting up at 5 am to get the rides in. I have a trainer sitting at home gathering dust as well that I may get set up in the garage until it's a bit nicer out. I need to find some riding buddies.

That's about it - basically, getting back to where I was at ~2 years ago before the move with the addition of spending some time committed to core fitness.

clicker666 and hank like this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Just looking to eat better. Did one full year of kale smoothies so I'm going to keep that up. Also doing 3 hours of sports a week plus walking the dog. Am considering doing a high fat, low carb diet but I'm afraid I might lose more weight.

3. Pinkette

Be less of the fat bitch I have become in the last four months lol.

So that just means better food choices and being a little bit more active. I would be happy dropping 20 pounds. 15 of those I gained in the last 4 months. Cookies are not a breakfast food.

4. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’m where I want to be weight wise due to cycling a ton last year. I think this year I’m going to try to tone up a bit with some lifting.

Also going to go alcohol free for the whole year and cutting out a lot of sugar, it’s gotten out of hand in the past couple months

5. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

I want to try to be less of a sloth

6. infatuous

I lost 25 lbs last year. 10 more to go this year. Will be setting up a stationary bike in the basement for primary exercise routine.

7. Duggan

We could use this an an accountability thread. Commit to a measurable goal, post it here, post the progress, and if you don't meet it by xx date , have to donate to a charity you despise.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'm in, but not sure about the "charity you despise" part. There's no way I'm donating money to a Trump campaign, for example!

9. Duggan

Well, hit your goals then.

HairyAss and hank like this.
  10. hank

Just started a slow build for my first full marathon. Goal race is in May, current goal time is 3:30 but may get adjusted up or down as training builds.

Planning to drop around 10lbs during the build

HairyAss likes this.
  11. clicker666

Older lifter

I've been pretty good at keeping my fitness goals in place - try not to lose strength and continue working on hypertrophy. I'm not going into the new year on a diet, that's a positive, and if I can stay injury free I may actually see some gains this year. We'll see.

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Injury free is the big one for me along with shedding some weight. I keep saying I'll commit to doing the things I know I should be doing to stave off injury, but never have.

13. clicker666

Older lifter

Only going by my logs, but it looks like when my running/walking at noon gets good I hurt myself (in the weight room). I don't know if it's a mechanical issue with tightening in the legs, or weakening, but the coincidence is there. I do like walking at noon in the summer - I just may have to push myself less.

14. briangtiguy

beer beer beer

[​IMG]

Other than the above mentioned, I started going to yoga last month, i just want to relax and regain a bit of flexibility, it's been great so far!
    I'd be pretty happy if i dropped 20lbs, which would probably happen if i stopped eating enough for 3-4 people.

clicker666 likes this.
  15. Pinkette

You and I both.
    *stuffs face until it hurts to breathe*

clicker666 likes this.
  16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

That's a form of S&M I'd be into!

17. HairyAss

HairyAss