2018. Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by HairyAss, Jan 2, 2018.

1. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

It's a new year and a good time to set out some goals. What's everyone thinking?

Mine:

1. Lose ~35 lbs. I knew I'd been gaining some weight, partly due to being injured and unable to run lately, but mostly due to a bad diet and too much beer since moving to Seattle. Taking a pro-active stance on that one starting yesterday - re-logged into myfitnesspal, and underway with that and a better fitness regime.

2. Running. I have 2 goals here: a) Run a 1/2 marathon again. I got away from running at any events as we adjusted to life in Seattle. I was running a lot at lunch at work but without specific goals, I find that waxes and wanes over time. Setting a goal race means I'll set a running schedule and stick to it. Looking at the Seattle Rock n' Roll in June. I will add other events that line up with that once I get the training schedule done, like a 10k in March/April. b) Commit to doing the work to avoid further injuries. #1 will help with that - I notice injuries come a lot quicker for running when my weight goes up. I also need to commit to a regimen of core strength training and recovery work (massages, PT, etc).

3. Cycling. I barely put any mileage on my road bike last year. Part of that was me trying to get my son more interested in cycling, so I did more rides with him which tended to be in the 15-20k range as opposed to getting out for some good long rides in the 40, 60, 80+k range. I'm going to figure that out, even if it means getting up at 5 am to get the rides in. I have a trainer sitting at home gathering dust as well that I may get set up in the garage until it's a bit nicer out. I need to find some riding buddies.

That's about it - basically, getting back to where I was at ~2 years ago before the move with the addition of spending some time committed to core fitness.

clicker666 and hank like this.
  2. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Just looking to eat better. Did one full year of kale smoothies so I'm going to keep that up. Also doing 3 hours of sports a week plus walking the dog. Am considering doing a high fat, low carb diet but I'm afraid I might lose more weight.

3. Pinkette

Be less of the fat bitch I have become in the last four months lol.

So that just means better food choices and being a little bit more active. I would be happy dropping 20 pounds. 15 of those I gained in the last 4 months. Cookies are not a breakfast food.

4. 17

teenage dirtbag

I’m where I want to be weight wise due to cycling a ton last year. I think this year I’m going to try to tone up a bit with some lifting.

Also going to go alcohol free for the whole year and cutting out a lot of sugar, it’s gotten out of hand in the past couple months

5. billybob

The Schooner, the better.

I want to try to be less of a sloth

6. infatuous

I lost 25 lbs last year. 10 more to go this year. Will be setting up a stationary bike in the basement for primary exercise routine.

7. Duggan

We could use this an an accountability thread. Commit to a measurable goal, post it here, post the progress, and if you don't meet it by xx date , have to donate to a charity you despise.

8. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

I'm in, but not sure about the "charity you despise" part. There's no way I'm donating money to a Trump campaign, for example!

9. Duggan

Well, hit your goals then.

HairyAss and hank like this.
  10. hank

Just started a slow build for my first full marathon. Goal race is in May, current goal time is 3:30 but may get adjusted up or down as training builds.

Planning to drop around 10lbs during the build

HairyAss likes this.
  11. clicker666

Older lifter

I've been pretty good at keeping my fitness goals in place - try not to lose strength and continue working on hypertrophy. I'm not going into the new year on a diet, that's a positive, and if I can stay injury free I may actually see some gains this year. We'll see.

12. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

Injury free is the big one for me along with shedding some weight. I keep saying I'll commit to doing the things I know I should be doing to stave off injury, but never have.

13. clicker666

Older lifter

Only going by my logs, but it looks like when my running/walking at noon gets good I hurt myself (in the weight room). I don't know if it's a mechanical issue with tightening in the legs, or weakening, but the coincidence is there. I do like walking at noon in the summer - I just may have to push myself less.

14. briangtiguy

beer beer beer

[​IMG]

Other than the above mentioned, I started going to yoga last month, i just want to relax and regain a bit of flexibility, it's been great so far!
    I'd be pretty happy if i dropped 20lbs, which would probably happen if i stopped eating enough for 3-4 people.

clicker666 likes this.
  15. Pinkette

You and I both.
    *stuffs face until it hurts to breathe*

clicker666 likes this.
  16. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

That's a form of S&M I'd be into!

17. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

3928752F-1CC1-4572-B907-35D23A1B51EF.png

Today’s run. Straight up!

hank likes this.
  18. ANGELL

Triple door fridge made it kid

ugh... I am getting married in like 7 months so what is everyone doing?

19. hank

First 30km run of the build yesterday. Feeling pretty good so far... 10km recovery run today followed by either yoga or gym. Happy Sunday y'all

HairyAss and Nick84 like this.
  20. Wayne

I still need to drop 35lbs from the 40 I lost the last year...play hockey 4 times a week, barely drink, eat 90% plant based diet...just can't seem to lose weight. I have a serious water intake issue, where I forget to drink water for an entire day, it's likely causing a lot of the problem. Even using reminders I struggle to drink enough water.

I am going to pick up trail/mountain biking this spring though, see if that helps drop weight. I want to get to 160, 195 now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  21. clicker666

Older lifter

Wayne, do you know what your body fat percentage is? If you aren't sure feel free to PM me a pic. I'm pretty good at guessing BF, and maybe able to guide you a bit. Knowing what you eat and drink might help too.

22. Wayne

That would be close I am guessing...

I eat mostly pasta, soups, noodles, vegetables, fruits, rice, quinoa, etc...no red meat, a little chicken, and seafood is mostly my goto for my 10% meat. I drink mostly coffee, tbh. I might drink 24oz of various liquid in the run of a day.

bmi.PNG

23. Wayne

I should note, I eat virtually no processed foods at all...I've really tried to eat well the last 10 months or so.

24. clicker666

Older lifter

Do you have visible abs? If no, that calculator is way off. The amounts are what counts, not so much what you're eating. I wouldn't worry so much about what liquids you're drinking - there's not enough caffeine in coffee to dehydrate you vs the actual water content. Now, what you put IN the coffee can add up. People often forget the condiments. A Tim's double double can come in close to the calorie count of a donut!

25. Wayne

Yes, I do have visible abs...but still too much gut there. My lower half of body is great, my upper needs the work, but there are visible abs. Not sure if your BMI can be different in different spots lol. And I drink coffee black. I still have lots of work to do.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  26. Wayne

Basically years of drinking too much and too much snacks, fat seems to be "mostly" in the beer belly location. Upper abs are visible, lower nope. Basically I have to get rid of the gut.

clicker666 likes this.
  27. clicker666

Older lifter

Ahhhh. I get it now.

Ultimately it will come down to calorie measuring if you really want to get the best results. Use a tool like MyPlate and a food scale. Weigh everything before cooking until you get a feel for your intake. If you're not losing weight all you can do is increase activity or cut calories. We tend to overestimate our activity calories and underestimate our food intake.

or I try to pick a specific meal where I usually fall short and clean that up.

For example - I was getting sloppy with breakfast and having breakfast sandwiches (about 600 calories) instead of my protein cereal with All Bran buds added (about 300 cals). Lunch went from carrot sticks and a sandwich with protein bread, and a lot of sandwich meat and low fat cheese to chips or something instead of carrots (about 200-300 calories or more), bedtime snack went from fruit or sorbet to chips (another 300 or so calories). When I add it up I was consuming close to 800-1000 extra calories a day - and gaining weight slowly every week or not losing.

Wayne likes this.
  28. Arod

I tried that same calculator and it estimates my BF to be double what it actually is lol

29. 17

teenage dirtbag

24oz of fluid per day seems low. I have a 30oz yeti at work and I drain that like 3 times a day and I have another one at home I usually drink 1-2 of by the time I go to bed

30. HairyAss

HairyAss
    [OP]
    Cheese on Toast

"Draining the Yeti" sounds like a euphemism for something else entirely. :lol:

hank likes this.
  31. Wayne

Yeah, I got no faith in that BMI calculator. I am still 40lbs over weight. However, due to a lot of sports and activities, my legs and lower body is much leaner than my middle section...but it's getting better. Going to start focusing on my core and drinking much more water (somehow). You need water to lose weight properly.

32. 17

teenage dirtbag

ill allow it

33. Gooch

what do you weigh now?

34. Gooch

so you are 195 lbs and 5'8" and this thing says you are 12% bf
    No offence but it might be off

35. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

I'm 5'9" 155lbs with ab definition and it said I was fatter than Wayne. I don't trust any of those BMI type calculations very much.