1975 Classic Mini Project (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by never_be_sold, May 7, 2016.

1. Shafft

RC-OG

Big Nay on the Type r, but this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/POWERED-By-H...Emblems-Race-Fit-For-Honda-Auto-/111847318348 is win!!!! Either one on either side of the front "fenders" or one on the tailgate.

2. never_be_sold

Well, I had a slight mishap with the paint. It’s low and near the rear wheel arch.

I’m thinking of using a decal to cover it up until I bite the bullet and get the issues left behind by the painter cleaned up by someone more professional.

The 1275 GT’s ran this stripe.

B40EAC6D-9ACB-451E-8AE0-857AB29AA4D2.jpeg

I’m thinking MINI B18C.

Thoughts?

3. Shafft

RC-OG

Love the stripe. "MINI 1800 GT" (as in 1800cc) with the Powered by Honda badge on the back!

4. 17

teenage dirtbag

I don’t hate that idea

White stripe would look great on that color

5. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Man are you ever going to die in this thing

Beaker likes this.
  6. Scott

rawr

7. Mitch

It’s gonna be a great funeral.

Beaker likes this.
  8. Duggan

Open casket regardless of outcome.

Beaker likes this.
  9. Dewie

I enjoy this a lot.

a LOT.

I've sadly seen shocks die around being painted, to the point that I actually had a hatch fall on me once as I painted around it (it was an old Lada, but the hatch struts were off of something else and strong as hell until bam, they gave out), I can't help but wonder if something similar happened here.

Mine would have been gas filled and I actually had a hunk of black pipe insulation over them to keep over-spray from getting on them but man it was like someone drilled a hole in them. I have heard similar experiences from others but I have no concrete evidence.

10. Smokey

11. never_be_sold

One more quick update...

I made a list of outstanding items, and have just been knocking those out. New parking brake lines, shifter bushings, subframe bushings, AN fittings and braided line where I had the temporary fuel line when I was troubleshooting, a few other little odds and ends.

I got the license plate light installed.

IMG_1439.jpg

Back when I got the fuel issue sorted, it revealed another issue, not sure if I mentioned that my temp gauge was soaring and my fan wasn't turning on.

A little digging revealed a cold lower rad hose. I had a brand new thermostat installed so I was a little baffled. So I pulled the t-stat and tossed it in some hot water and watched it open at around 80 degrees. While it was out I ran the car and watched the coolant flow through the rad...put the t-stat back in and watched my temp gauge soar, but still my lower rad hose was cold and no fan action. So I installed an override switch for the fan, which I had intended on anyway, it obviously made no impact on the issue.

Well...stupid me, I was still running the stock sensor with the Autometer Gauge. I missed a couple obvious signs, one being how quick it got to 110, the second being that the coolant wasn't boiling with no pressure on the system. Anyway, proper sensor installed and all is right with the world.

Also got an overflow bottle stuffed in there, wrapped the headers, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Tucked a few more wires, got my washer lines hooked up...and the engine bay is done. Finished. I think.

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

Next I installed my stereo. Went with a Kenwood bluetooth amp (son no head unit at all), Infinity component speakers, and a small JL Audio 5 1/4" sub installed in the stock stereo location (stock only had one speaker).

Amp and crossovers mounted to the back of the speaker board.

IMG_1423.jpg

Installed and wires tucked. You can see where the stock speaker location is on the rear shelf.

IMG_1437.jpg

Here's where the tweeters are mounted. You can also see the stock switches. They all work including the seatbelt warning light that goes out when you click the seat belt, both driver and passenger. The one on the far left is the new fan switch I installed. I also rewrapped the steering wheel.

IMG_1445.jpg

And with that I was confident I had all my electrical finished. So I installed the dash cards. Notice the longclear knob, that's actually a small hand pump to push the washer fluid through the system.

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

Mechanical, electrical, fuel and cooling systems are done. All that's left on my list is to reinstall the seats once I get them back, the exhaust, alignment and some decals and badges.

Tucked back in the corner so wife can have her half of the garage back.

IMG_1446.jpg

Dewie, Shafft, Scott and 3 others like this.
  12. dpwu32

Is it summer yet?

Looks great dude!*

*for a coffin

13. Mitch

Just shoot me a text when it’s done so I can book a flight to see it/ attend your funeral

never_be_sold and Beaker like this.
  14. Gooch

so cool

15. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

nice work. Love the idea of a bluetooth AMP. Head unit is kind of obsolete with a smartphone. Also, I love those motors. Every time I see that red valve cover I remember the old days of the 8,000 rpm SiR <3

LMAC likes this.
  16. Mitch

Any idea where the ol’ black beauty is now?

Ps post some pics of it, loved that car

17. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

No idea. pmachanpmachan was the last owner I know of. Right before I sold it to him (apologies for posting another car in this thread :o)

[​IMG]

v-mac and Mitch like this.
  18. v-mac

Fire / Hazmat / GSAR

An unmolested example of that gen SiR will be regarded as a 'classic' in a few more years. Love them.

Boots likes this.
  19. Shafft

RC-OG

One of my favs from the original owner ;)
    [​IMG]

right_side.jpg

Boots likes this.
  20. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Man, I really don't remember those wheels :o

21. never_be_sold

I’ve often wondered if any mass produced vehicles of the last 30 years would be regarded as classics some day.

22. 17

teenage dirtbag

Anything current with a v8 and a true manual will fetch $$$ in the next few decades

23. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Honestly it makes you wonder how much longer gasoline powered cars and non-self driving cars will even be on the road. 20 years from now you won't recognize the traffic on the roads. Gasoline powered cars or cars that humans drive might be relegated to track days.

24. PirateSteve

I'm not sure if it will go that quick, the infrastructure is def not in place around here, and most OEMs are only in their infancy in directing r&d money to electric. I certainly hope it is a ways off as I would rather get through the bulk of my working days and not have to make some massive investment in tools. It is hard enough keeping up with the cars that are on the go now.

Anything analog basically I think will have some collectability. Once you get up into the mid 2000s I think the mass produced cars become more of disposable appliances. Don't see too many people going to dishwasher auctions .

25. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Totally understand your point of view there. It is pretty bonkers if you look back 10 years though. iPhone was barely around for a year, Instagram didn't exist, SpaceX had just gotten its first rocket to space (and now they have rockets returning from space and landing on drone ships :bowdown:) and Tesla had just gotten its first car out the door. Where will things be in 2028?! :eek3:

26. Duggan

What is slightly concerning is all the extra demand there will be on the power grid and the infrastructure upgrades that will be required to meet the demand. With more and more electric cars the risk of rolling black outs/Brown outs is going to increase leaving us with the potential of having a bunch of dead cars.

That and when the tree huggers set their sites on lithium mines for raping the earth.

27. Boots

www.reality-check.ca

Certainly some challenges to the whole scheme. At least with automated vehicles, fuel efficiency can be maximized to the fullest, especially if all humans are taken out of the equation.

28. Duggan

I think there is a good space for plug in Hybrids. Smaller fuel cell, for reserve ect.

29. Beaker

Lifestyle Enthusiast

i think the extreme cars will have value in years, like the demons, hellcats, etc. gt-40's are a extreme example but they gained value over the years.

otherwise no one will ever want a 2001 smart car, even in 100 years.

30. LMAC

_

Another thing that will be addressed for full electric cars is the price of them, you can go get a Nissan micra or Mitsubishi mirage for like what 10k new.. and what is the cheapest full electric car? its probably well over 30k things will need to change in that regard for people to fully get on board

we should move these else where so we can get back to the mini thread BootsBoots

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  31. ANGELL

Triple door fridge made it kid

Great build for sure

32. JoeLouie

The car is so small he could easily be buried in it.

33. Cheddar

Red is the New Green

There will always be a place for the Pontiac 6000 in mediocre condition .

34. never_be_sold

If the Chevy Ferreta can't reach classic status, what chance does any modern car have.